Friday, April 22, 2011

Mauritz Hansensgate #4

In the early 19-teens, when my great grandmother, Bestemor Løken, moved into her 3rd floor apartment at number 4 Mauritz Hansen’s street, she was already a widow and the apartment building was quite a fashionable address.  The graceful Victorian apartments of the area were built in the last part of the 19th century, around the same time as the King’s Palace located three blocks away.

A few years later, at the start of their marriage, my grandmother and grandfather moved into the building with their young family.  The apartment was centrally located and became a hub for the Latter-day Saints in the Oslo area. There seemed to always be someone visiting, and extra places set at the table for every meal.  I was never allowed in the living room ("Stuen") without an adult present, when I was little.  When I was four years old, I remember thinking it was the most beautiful room on earth.
A painting by Onkel Sverre Siem graces the wall above the bookcase.  Bestefar was an avid reader and the corner of the room by the bookcase was his special spot.  On the far side of the bookcase was a little cabinet that always held chocolate and licorice boats. You will notice the bookcase is topped with family pictures: my baby picture, a photo of Mamma and Lillemor, my mom and dad's wedding picture, and cousin Colleen's (Knut's daughter) beautiful wedding picture amongst many others.
 Here is a candid shot from my visit in the early 1990s.
The door from the living room in to what used to be the bedroom, which Lillemor later used as a family room.
The Rococo chairs in this photo were hand made by my great grandfather (Bestemor's dad) Olsen-Løken, who was a carpenter and furniture maker.  They are still in good shape, at nearly a hundred years old and still contain their original horsehair stuffing.
The spacious rooms, the high ceilings with plaster moldings, cornices, and elaborate ceiling medallions, were very Victorian and quite elegant.   Yes, that's fringe on the large Victorian ceiling lamp.

I loved this place and the people who lived here.

No comments:

Post a Comment