Thursday, July 31, 2014

Bestemor in Salt Lake City

My grandmother, Sigrid Sophie Olsen, is standing on the left
The lady in the center has been identified as Lagertha Larsen Kristiansen, Bente Bakken Karlsson's great aunt.
I have no idea who these other women are, but they look like a Relief Society Presidency!
My grandmother, Sigrid Sophie Olsen, was born and raised in the country of Norway.  In the early 1900s she joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

She, like many others, felt the urge to "come to Zion", or emigrate to Salt Lake City, USA.  Many Norwegian Mormons had already made the trip - by the thousands.  In those days there was an entire Norwegian-speaking branch (congregation) of the Church in the Salt Lake area.

I know these photos were taken of my grandmother when she was visiting Salt Lake.  I have no idea who the other ladies in these photos are.

I love the styles!  This was during World War I.

Following the war, Miss Olsen returned to her native Norway.  She wasn't happy in Utah and had been homesick for the fjords and mountains of her native land.

Miss Sigrid Olsen is on the far left.
Grandmother was a tiny woman, maybe 4 foot 9 inches or 5 feet tall.  I love the hats, don't you?

I thought you might enjoy these photos.  She was a beautiful woman, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment