Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The New Swedish Temple President

President Jan K. Evensen and Marit, my cousin


My cousin Marit, on my Norwegian Mother’s side of the family, strangely enough, is married to an Evensen – no relation to me.  For the last three years he has served as a counselor to President Paul K. Oscarson (2009-2012) of the LDS Swedish Temple.  Just recently he was called to be the President of the Swedish Temple, following President Oscarson’s release.  At the same time, Marit, his wife, was called to be Temple Matron.

I felt the need to blog this, since I got two telephone calls, both from out of state, when the announcement was made, with people wondering if this new president was related to me.  "Well, his wife is," I had explain, laughing.  Then, I'd invariably have to launch into the story of how I'm related to Marit - our mother's were first cousins - and how I'm NOT related to Jan.

Oh, yes, it's a wacky world sometimes.  

But, seriously, I can't think of a more wonderful calling than anything related to temple worship.  What a wonderful place to spend your days!  And I know that Marit and Jan are two really terrific, gracious and kind people who are suited perfectly to this type of church calling.  

The Stockholm Sweden Temple actually sits on a beautiful site about 20 miles south of Stockholm, called Västerhaninge.  The stake center of the Stockholm Sweden South Stake and a patron housing facility stand nearby.  From what I can tell from the photos, and the testimonies of people who have actually visited there, it is a truly lovely site.


 "I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually."—I Kings 9:3

This is the first temple built in Scandinavia, and it was dedicated in 1985 by LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley, who was acting under the direction of then LDS Church President Spencer W. Kimball as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

The cultural diversity of the Stockholm Sweden Temple District was evidenced in the translation of the dedicatory sessions—four of which were translated into Swedish, three into Finnish, two into Norwegian, and two into Danish.

At the first dedicatory session of the Stockholm Sweden Temple, President Gordon B. Hinckley stated, "This is the most significant day in the history of the Church in Scandinavia."


This marker on the grounds says, if I can make it out correctly, 
"In remembrance of King Carl (the 16th) Gustaf’s and Queen Silvia’s visit the 23rd of August, 1995"

Since its dedication in the 1980s, the Stockholm Sweden Temple has been joined by two other temples in Scandinavia:  The Copenhagen Denmark Temple, and the Helsinki Finland Temple.

Here are the currently operating LDS temples of Europe:





No comments:

Post a Comment